Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Monday, October 14, 2013

What is this beauty in the landscape but a certain fertility IN ME?



"The thought of what I am, of my pitiful conduct, deters me from receiving what joy I might from the glorious days that visit me . . . [But] what is this beauty in the landscape but a certain fertility IN ME?  I look in vain to see it realized but in my own life.  If I could wholly cease to be ashamed of myself, I think that all my days would be fair."

Henry David Thoreau

Photo: Three-leaved sumac bushes ablaze on a perfect autumn day; Near Livermore, CO; October 12, 2013. Thoreau, like so many of us, was prone to self-deprecation.

If you'd like to help fund Nature Photo-Quotes, please go here.  Thanks!






No comments:

Post a Comment