Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Monday, March 10, 2014

The March air is filled with a vibrant sense of WAITING.


The extended evening light brought about by the shift to Daylight Savings Time always feels to me as though IT is the real Spring Equinox. Yesterday's hike brought highs in the low 70s. I had the sense - as I often do this time of year - that everything in the landscape is patiently WAITING for the cue to begin budding, leafing and blooming. With that waiting comes a vibrant stillness, one that is filled with a sense of radiant hope and expectation. Tomorrow, we are supposed to receive several more inches of snow. The weather will perhaps seesaw like this for a few more weeks. But still, the sense of waiting permeates the air, bringing with it an anticipation of the upcoming season's backpacking trips, extended hikes, and vacation time.

Photo: Rose Hips and red cliffs; Lory State Park, CO; March 9, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment