Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Bison in the Tetons


This past weekend, I went backpacking in the Tetons. On the way to the trailhead, I encountered several bison making their way across the meadows against a backdrop of snowy peaks. Whenever I see bison in a natural setting, I think of the Plains Peoples - the Lakota, Arapaho, Cheyenne, Blackfeet, and others - who developed the quintessential lifestyle of buffalo-hunting. These peoples were among the most vibrant, spiritually rich and successful cultures ever to inhabit the earth. The Lakota in particular have worked hard to preserve their traditional ceremonies which still inspire so many of us, despite the corrosive effects of the current consumeristic Euro-American culture. I pray that we can prevent the negative aspects of the corporate-industrial machine from further desecrating these sacred cultures whose continued wisdom must be preserved if ANY of us are to survive.

Photo: Bison with Mt. Moran in the background; Grand Teton National Park, WY; July 4, 2014

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. Thank you for posting such thoughtful comments and for caring about sacred cultures and native wildlife. Genetically pure bison from Yellowstone were moved to the Fort Peck Reservation in Montana in 2012. When I stayed at Silver Gate Cabins, just outside of Yellowstone, about ten of them hunkered down on the grass one night. They looked like small mountains in the dusk. How magnificent they are!

    ReplyDelete