Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

"John Muir's Ecstatic Nature Mysticism" - a Workshop offered in Denver, CO on July 13, 2014


"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in."

John Muir

This Sunday, July 13th, I'll be speaking in Denver on "John Muir's Ecstatic Nature Mysticism" at Althea Center for Engaged Spirituality. I'll speak during the worship service at 10:30, and then offer a two-hour workshop afterwards on the same topic from 12:30 to 2:30. The suggested donation for the workshop is $20. The church address is 1400 Williams St., Denver, CO 80218.

John Muir - Nature mystic, wilderness activist, geologist, botanist, writer and founder of the Sierra Club - was my boyhood hero. Later, in my 30s, I became interested in his ecstatic, Earth-based spirituality. I've edited a collection of Muir's writings - many of which were previously unpublished - in "The Contemplative John Muir." The unpublished passages included in this volume come from Muir's hand-written journals. I hope to see some of you there!

http://www.amazon.com/Contemplative-John-Muir-Quotations-Naturalist-ebook/dp/B007P5A4DQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404932784&sr=8-1&keywords=the+contemplative+john+muir

No comments:

Post a Comment