Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

We are Human Embodiments of the Alpine Sunflower

An Alpine Sunflower plant produces only leaves during the first six to eight years of its life, storing reserves in its thick underground root. When enough carbohydrates have accumulated, floral buds appear. The flower blooms the following summer, seeds mature, and then the entire plant dies.

I find this encouraging, especially when my own "time in the sun" - or, as Andy Warhol famously put it, my "fifteen minutes of fame" - seems so brief when compared to the decades I've spent preparing and honing my vision. There is nothing wrong with this situation; rather, I - like everyone else - am simply acting as a human embodiment of the magnificent and sacred Alpine Sunflower.

Photo: Alpine Sunflowers, Snowy Range, WY; July 14, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment