Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Thursday, July 3, 2014

This Fourth of July, let us be especially grateful for the natural areas of America.


This Fourth of July, I am especially grateful for the natural areas of America.  I appreciate the fact that previous generations of lawmakers had the foresight to create National Parks, State Parks, National Forests and Wilderness Areas.  If they had worked during the current political climate, these areas would most likely never have been set aside and protected from development.  This year is the 50th anniversary of the Wilderness Act. Today, let us celebrate what is perhaps the most important element of  America - our sacred and inspiring landscapes.

Photo: Sky Pilot (purple) and Alpine Avens (yellow), with Medicine Bow Peak in the background; Snowy Range, Medicine Bow National Forest, WY; July 2, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment