Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Friday, July 18, 2014

Marsh-marigolds!


"For myself I hold no preferences among flowers, so long as they are wild, free, spontaneous."

Edward Abbey 

Marsh-marigolds always amaze me.  They are one of the first alpine and subalpine flowers to emerge when the snow begins to melt.  Their arrow-shaped leaves push up right through the snow, filled with a reddish pigment that helps warm the plant.  Then they appear in marshes - often within pools of standing water - and line the streambanks with their star-like flowers.




Photos: (Bottom) Marsh-marigolds blooming along a streambank; (Top) and pushing up their leaves through the snow;  Lion Lakes, Wild Basin, Rocky Mountain National Park, CO; July 11, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment