Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Thursday, July 3, 2014

We are meant for a much higher calling than that of the ego-self!

In my interactions with other human beings, I am reminded again and again that I do not want to live on the level of ego; that is, in the realm of the small self, with its easily offended, overly-sensitive constricted view of how things "should" be. I'm reminded of what Francois Fenelon wrote to a friend in the early 18th century: "God has not an easily-offended sensitiveness, as we have." Instead, I - like everyone - am meant to live a much higher calling - one that works continually to join together the sky-like beyondness of the Great Mystery - God, Father Sky - to the this-worldliness and flow of Sophia - the Goddess, Mother Earth. In actuality, there is, of course, no independent ego-self. Each of us is rather a sort of swinging door (as Zen Master Shunryu Suzuki once put it) that works lovingly to join together these two Cosmic dimensions of life. For me, there is no other calling! I pray that I may remember this fact more readily and more consistently, especially in my interactions with people!

Photo: Glacier Lilies, Libby Lake and Brown's Peak; Snowy Range, Medicine Bow National Forest, WY; July 2, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment