Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

According to the pain is the gain.



"According to the pain is the gain."

Rabbi Ben Hei,
2nd century, C.E.






While taking these photos on Monday, I received the beginning stages of frostbite on my fingertips because I had to remove my heavy gloves, even though I was still wearing a pair of thin gloves. The wind came in 50 mph gusts, driving the wind chill below zero. At one point, I had to remove the outer gloves for about 30 minutes. It wasn't until the next morning that the tingling in my fingers stopped. Six weeks ago, I frostbit my toes somewhat more seriously, and I've been wearing chemical toe warmers during every excursion ever since. Since Monday's episode, I believe I'll begin wearing hand warmers as well. Although I've learned through these experiences to be more careful with the elements, there is a certain satisfaction in knowing that I've had to give a part of myself as payment for experiencing all of this beauty. For that is truly one of the redeeming elements of suffering: a part of us must "die" in order for beauty - in this case, the photos - to be reborn!






Photos: Dream Lake Trail on a windy day, Rocky Mountain National Park, CO, February 2, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment