Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Be a reservoir, not a canal.


"You squander and lose what is meant to be your own if, before you are totally permeated by the infusion of the Holy Spirit, you rashly proceed to pour out your unfulfilled self upon others. The person who is wise, therefore, will see his life more like a reservoir than a canal. The canal simultaneously pours out what it receives; the reservoir retains the water till it is filled, and then discharges the overflow without loss to itself. Today there are many in society who act like canals; the reservoirs are far too rare. So urgent is the charity that they want to pour it forth before they are filled. Infusion should precede the effusion. First be filled, and then control the outpouring. I cannot see myself being enriched by your wasting of your powers. For if you are mean to yourself, to whom will you be good? Help me out of your abundance, if you have it; if not, then spare yourself the trouble."

St. Bernard of Clairvaux,
12th century France 


Photo: Horsetooth Reservoir and ruddy cliffs, Lory State Park, CO, February 8, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment