Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

A regional approach to spirituality includes valuing and learning from the Native peoples who live in the area.


In a recent posting I spoke of Cascadian Spirituality as an example of a regional approach to religious identity, one that is quite different from the usual practice of identifying oneself with one of the great international world religions. I believe it is important in practicing regional spirituality to appreciate and value the indigenous cultures that inhabit each landscape. In the case of the territory depicted in this photo, that would be the people and traditions of the Quileute Nation. While visiting the village of La Push - located within a mile of this beach - I found the Quileute people I encountered especially friendly and excited to share the richness of their culture with anyone who would appreciate it. Later that afternoon, while hiking along the beaches of Olympic National Park - traditional Quiliute territory - I could sense their warmth, self-giving attitude and respect for the land permeating my experience of the natural world.

Photo: Second Beach, Olympic National Park, WA; July 26, 2013









No comments:

Post a Comment