Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Friday, August 23, 2013

I have a patriotic allegiance not just to a system of government but to the American land itself.


"I am expressing my growing sense of allegiance to this living nation.  Allegiance to the forests, the prairies, the deserts, the mountains, the swamplands, the seacoasts, the lakes and rivers and oceans . . . Allegiance to the greater community of landscape and organisms that encompasses and sustains us all, . . . a patriotic allegiance not just to a system of government but to the American land itself . . . There is a need for wider recognition that government has as much a duty to protect the land, the air, the water, the natural environment against technological damage, as it has to protect the country against foreign enemies."

Richard Nelson,
"Patriotism and the American Land"

Photo: Western Hemlock and Mowich Lake, Mount Rainier National Park, WA; July 29, 2013








No comments:

Post a Comment