Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Monday, August 12, 2013

The Divine Seeing occurs at the center of the human heart.


"The heart is a sanctuary at the center of which there is a little space, wherein the Great Spirit dwells, and this is the Eye.  This is the Eye of the Great Spirit by which He sees all things and through which we see Him.  If the heart is not pure, the Great Spirit cannot be seen . . . The person who is thus pure contains the Universe in the pocket of his heart."

Nicholas Black Elk
Oglala Lakota

Photo: Lower Blue Lake, San Juan Range; August 10, 2013.  I love the sense of mystical union expressed here.  

This is very similar to what Meister Eckhart said in the 14th century: "The eye through which I see God is the same eye through which God sees me. "  When we realize that we are held in the magnetic gaze of God welling up from the center of our being (experienced during contemplative prayer),  this realization IS the gaze of God, who - because of his humble self-emptying - has no "I" and who therefore exists only in the second-person as a Thou who is known by us.






No comments:

Post a Comment