Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

A Spirituality of Lace


Whenever I see frothy waves wash over a sandy beach, often crossing one another to form beautiful patterns, I imagine a woman's lacy lingerie.  After all, the ocean is commonly viewed as a powerful embodiment of feminine energy: flowing, wild, uncontrollable and shapeshifting.  Its tides are associated with the moon, another feminine symbol.  Lace garments both reveal and conceal, embodying the fact that the feminine principle of paradox is a hallmark of all true spirituality.  Religious fundamentalism attempts dividing up all of life into dualistic opposites: absolute right and wrong, true and untrue, saved and lost, scriptural and unscriptural.  Mature spirituality, by contrast, always involves a both/and approach that ferrets out the truth contained within each seeming opposite.

Photo: Waves and sea stacks at Rialto Beach, Olympic National Park, WA; July 26, 2013







No comments:

Post a Comment