Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The first signs of Fall are appearing in the High Country!


In Colorado, the first signs of Fall appear above treeline.  There, the leaves of some tundra plants turn ruddy in the middle of August, while others down below are just coming into bloom.  On my hike back to the trailhead the other day, I realized that darkness is arriving about an hour earlier than it did six weeks ago.  As we head toward Autumn, I begin to feel the invigoration that comes with crisp air and new projects, as well as a turn inward to consider the course of my life in fresh ways. It is still hot, but Fall is on the way!

Photo: Ruddy Queen's Crown leaves and dried flowers, Lake of Many Winds, Wild Basin, Rocky Mountain National Park, CO; August 19, 2013







No comments:

Post a Comment