Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

"Look at the glory! Look at the glory!"


"Look at the glory! Look at the glory!"

The Contemplative John Muir

This place is magical! When I arrived at my walk-in campsite at the trailhead, the mystical song of the Varied Thrush permeated the air with its bold, Zen-like notes. As I hiked the three miles up to Spray Park - known for its amazing wildflower displays - Mount Rainier was completely covered in fog. However, I waited around for several hours, and She eventually appeared! I couldn't stop shooting, and before I knew it, the Mountain was ruddy with evening alpenglow, appearing through a thicket of white Avalanche Lilies. I hiked back in the dark as the fog regathered, completely and exquisitely satisfied.

Photo: Avalanche Lilies and Mount Rainier at sunset; Spray Park, Mount Rainier National Park, WA; July 28, 2013. 

 Here is a recording of the Varied Thrush: http://www.birdweb.org/birdweb/bird/varied_thrush . (The "Listen" button is to the left of the maps).






No comments:

Post a Comment