Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Monday, August 26, 2013

In every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks.



"In every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir

I started up the trail about 5:30 A.M., intent on catching the sunrise from a point midway up Medicine Bow Peak.  As in previous years, I was hoping to find some wildflowers and to include them in the frame.  However, the flowers were mostly gone, a situation resulting from our unusually hot summer.  Once I realized this was the case, I found a spot on the trail where I could capture the white of the quartzite boulders in the foreground of the photo.  What I didn't know was that these rocks would begin to glow a deep pink as the sun rose.  Like so many other times in Nature, I was given a greater gift than the one I was seeking!

Photo: Medicine Bow Peak at sunrise; Snowy Range, WY; August 24, 2013






No comments:

Post a Comment