Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Monday, November 17, 2014

Everything is pretending to be born and pretending to die.


"One day as I was about to step on a dry leaf, I saw the leaf in the ultimate dimension.  I saw that it was not really dead, but that it was merging with the moist soil in order to appear on the tree the following spring in another form.  I smiled at the leaf and said, 'You are pretending.'  Everything is pretending to be born and pretending to die, including the leaf."

Thich Nhat Hanh

Photo: Elm leaf on frozen Watson Lake, with Bellvue Dome in the background, Bellvue, CO, November 17, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment