Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Thursday, November 13, 2014

It is important for spiritual leaders to have the humility to share their struggles with those they lead.



While walking yesterday in zero-degree temperatures, some of my fingers began to go numb on account of the extended periods when I had to remove my gloves in order to operate the camera.  This got me to thinking about my own humanity - including those times when my spiritual passion seems to "go numb" - and, in particular, the humanity of anyone called to serve as a spiritual leader.

For those of us who find ourselves acting as mentors, I am convinced that it is vitally important for us to reveal OUR STRUGGLES to those whom we are called to serve, including the ways we've found of WORKING THROUGH  those struggles.  There are several reasons why I believe this sort of attitude is valuable.  First, when others understand that NO ONE - including even the most respected spiritual teacher or leader - has it totally "together," they are then empowered to realize that THEY THEMSELVES are needed to contribute their insights and practices for the spiritual evolution of the world.  I know from experience that this is true in my own case.  When I realize that those I've looked up to do not have all of the answers, I suddenly find myself empowered to contribute what I've learned for the spiritual betterment of the world.  Rather than becoming discouraged or disillusioned when those I respect reveal their "feet of clay," I find myself energized to seek my own answers.



Secondly, I'm convinced that the potential for spiritual growth is endless, and that there is no such thing as "arriving" or reaching some final "enlightenment" during our time here on Earth.  In fact, I agree with early Christian writers like Gregory of Nyssa who realize that spiritual growth will continue FOR ALL ETERNITY - and this includes even the next life!  In other words, even "heaven" - however we might conceive it - is not a place of static attainment.  Rather, we will continue progressing "from glory to glory" since spiritual insight and practice are infinite in scope.

This realization serves to keep us eternally humble, for there will NEVER be a time when we have "attained" a final enlightenment. It is somewhat like being on a cosmic "hike" a million miles long, one where some of us (spiritual "beginners") have progressed ONE centimeter, while others of us (spiritual "leaders") have advanced TWICE that amount.  But what is a two-centimeter gain compared to a million miles?  Almost nothing!

This kind of attitude also fosters a childlike youthfulness, since every twist and turn on the spiritual journey reveals yet another vista of which we previously had little awareness.  All of life - AND eternity - becomes an endless adventure! As Process Theologian John Cobb tells us, "God is the divine Eros urging the world to new heights of enjoyment . . . God is the source of ADVENTURE toward novel ideals.  God encourages the actualization of novel possibilities as a means of maximizing creaturely enjoyment." In fact, Cobb reminds us that "GOD'S OWN LIFE is an adventure, for the novel enjoyments that are promoted among the creatures are then the experiences providing the material for God's own enjoyment."  In other words, even GOD'S own spiritual awakening is never totally finished and complete!

May all of us who call ourselves spiritual teachers find the grace this day to maintain the humility, youthfulness and sense of adventure that come from understanding the fact that we are ALWAYS and ETERNALLY simply "on the way."
 

Photos: (Top) Golden Willows and Bellvue Dome, viewed from Bingham Hill, near Bellvue, CO; (Middle) Canada Geese, Bellvue Dome, and Watson Lake, Bellvue, CO; (Bottom) Watson Lake at sunset, Bellvue, CO.  All three photos were taken on November 12, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment