Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Sunday, November 16, 2014

The inner "I," who is always alone, is always universal.


"The shallow 'I' can be possessed, developed, cultivated, and pandered to. But the deep 'I' of the spirit, of solitude and of love, cannot be 'had,' possessed, developed, perfected. It can only be and act according to the inner laws which are not of human contriving but which come form God. They are the Laws of the Spirit who, like the wind, blows where It wills. This inner 'I,' who is always alone, is always universal: for in this most inmost 'I' my own solitude meets the solitude of every other person and the solitude of God. Hence it is beyond division, beyond limitation, beyond selfish affirmation."

Thomas Merton 




Photos: (Top) Burned tree and the "face" of Arthur's Rock, Lory State Park, CO, November 15, 2014; (Middle) Autumn's last gold, Watson Lake, and Bellvue Dome, Bellvue, CO, November 13, 2014; (Bottom) Aspen trunks, Rocky Mountain National Park, CO, November 14, 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment