Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Walking liberates thoughts.


"Walking liberates thoughts. It is then that thoughts can arise, surface or take shape. A walk unshackles the body's limbs along with the mind's faculties. The motion of the body gives a little more spring to the mind. To stimulate the thinking, to move reflection forward, to deepen inventiveness, the mind needs the help of an active body. My thoughts sleep if I sit still; my fancy does not go so well by itself as when my legs move it. So there's no point in sitting over your desk when reflection is blocked. You need to get up and take a stroll. Walk, to get yourself moving, so that in sympathy with the body's surge the mind too will start moving again."

Frederic Gros,
"A Philosophy of Walking"




Photos: (Top) Fremont Cottonwood leaf on Watson Lake, Bellvue, CO, November 19, 2014; (Middle) Alpenglow on Long's Peak, Mills Lake, Rocky Mountain National Park, CO, November 22, 2014; (Bottom) Limber Pines with Hallett Peak looming in the mist, Rocky Mountain National Park, CO, November 24, 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment