Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Adversity causes some to break; others to break records.



"Adversity causes some to break; others to break records."

William Arthur Ward

Photo: Ancient Bristlecone Pine, Great Basin National Park, NV; July 30, 2012.  This tree - like others in the grove - is almost 5,000 years old.  I found it growing right at treeline, on a talus slope of rock that contains very little visible soil.  Part of the secret of a bristlecone's longevity is the fact that its environment prevents it from growing very fast.  But this works in the tree's favor.  The slow pace of growth means the bristlecone's wood is very dense, preventing pests from ever getting a foothold.  In fact, bristlecones that grow on more favorable sites don't live as long!

No comments:

Post a Comment