Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Friday, August 17, 2012

Joy is the holy fire that keeps our purpose warm and our intelligence aglow.



"Joy is the holy fire that keeps our purpose warm and our intelligence aglow."

Helen Keller

Photo: Cliff Paintbrush and Mt. Rainier at sunset, Mt. Fremont Trail; Mount Rainier National Park, WA; July 24, 2012.  I find it amazing to realize that the woman who wrote this quote was both deaf and blind. Her insight also helps us realize that joy is no mere emotion.  Rather, it has epistemological value - it is the energizing force underlying our capacity to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment