Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

This I may say is the first time I have been at church in California!


"This I may say is the first time I have been at church in California, led here at last, every door graciously opened for the poor lonely worshiper.  In our best times, everything turns into religion, all the world seems a church, and the mountains altars."

John Muir, after climbing Cathedral Peak, 1869
(The Contemplative John Muir, p. 53)

Photo: Broadfleaf Lupine at Cathedral Peak, Yosemite National Park, CA; July 28, 2012

This quote appears on the sign at the Cathedral Lakes Trailhead near Tuolumne Meadows.  While hiking at Yosemite, it occurred to me that one of the things that makes Yosemite so special is the fact that a person - John Muir - was so passionate about the beauty of this particular landscape.  We might say, in fact, that the soul indwelling Yosemite became conscious within the mind, heart and exuberant writings of Muir.  Each of us is called similarly to become the self-awareness of the landscapes we find most attractive. Indeed, this attraction is actually the soul of the landscape herself luring us so that she may become conscious within us!

No comments:

Post a Comment