Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Every feature glows, radiating beauty that pours into our flesh and bones like heat rays from fire.


"I gained the noblest view of the summit peaks . . . , every feature glowing, radiating beauty that pours into our flesh and bones like heat rays from fire. Sunshine over all; no breath of wind to stir the brooding calm
 . . . , so boundless an affluence of sublime mountain beauty . . . , a spiritual glow covering it.  I shouted and gesticulated in a wild burst of ecstasy, much to the astonishment of St. Bernard Carlo, who came running up to me, manifesting in his intelligent eyes a puzzled concern . . . which had the effect of bringing me to my senses.  A brown bear, too, it would seem, had been a spectator of the show I had made of myself . . . He evidently considered me dangerous, for he ran away very fast . . ."

John Muir

Photo: Big Pine Lake #2 just after sunrise, John Muir Wilderness, Sierra Nevada Range, CA; July 29, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment