Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Nature is a personality so vast and universal that we have never really seen even one of her features.


"Nature is a personality so vast and universal that we have never really seen even one of her features."

Henry David Thoreau

Photo: Cliff Paintbrush and Mt. Rainier just before sunset, Mt. Fremont Trail, Mt. Rainier National Park, WA; July 24, 2012.  I have camped and hiked at Mt. Rainier perhaps a dozen times, and each time I arrive, I once again realize that I can hardly believe "The Mountain" is actually real.  She is SO incredibly vast, and NO photo can ever do justice to her massive grandeur.  This was one of my sunset hikes; the haze in the west (from the sea) where the sun was setting created an ethereal orange glow that bathed the entire scene in  a warm light.  Then I got to watch as the moon set over Rainier! 

No comments:

Post a Comment