Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Monday, August 20, 2012

Rock is actually transparent Spirit.


"I had long been aware of the life and gentle tenderness of the rocks, and instead of walking upon them as unfeeling surfaces, began to regard them as a transparent sky.

God who is Light has led me tenderly from light to light to the shoreless ocean of rayless beamless Spirit Light that bathes these holy mountains."

The Contemplative John Muir, pp. 78, 79

Photo: Mt. Hoffman, May Lake and Western White Pine cone; Yosemite National Park, July 27, 2012.  The gleaming white granites of Yosemite help us realize that all seemingly solid things are actually transparent Spirit at their deepest core.

No comments:

Post a Comment