Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Let Your Fear Dissolve Like a Teaspoon of Salt in a Vast Open Lake


 "I am sometimes still afraid, but it isn't the same experience of fear I usually had before.  I have a deeper knowledge of the vastness of connection in life, within which fear arises . . . As our faith deepens, the 'container' in which fear arises gets bigger. Like a teaspoonful of salt placed in a pond full of fresh water rather than in a narrow glass, if our measure of fear is arising in an open, vast space of heart, we will not shut down around it.  We may still recognize it as fear, we may still quake inside, but it will not break our spirit."

Sharon Salzberg, Buddhist meditation teacher

Photo: Upper Ice Lake, San Juan Mountains, CO, July 14, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment