Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Self-Hatred and the Dalai Lama


"Self-hatred is truly an epidemic in the developed world.  U.S. citizens have so much wealth, but they have a poverty of spirit.  There is a very revealing story about the Dalai Lama, who was meeting with a group of Buddhist teachers from the United States and Europe.  One of the teachers said to him, 'A great obstacle to meditation practice of many of my students is extreme self-hatred.  What can I do about this?'  Apparently the Dalai Lama did not understand what the teacher was asking.  He had to have the question translated from English to Tibetan about three or four times.  Finally he asked, 'Why would anyone want to hate themselves?'

Spiritual practice will help you accept yourself as you are with your own particular quirks; it will also help you see the Buddha-nature within you - the unchanging part of you, beyond all quirks."

Diana Winston

"When I first heard the word self-hatred and was first exposed to this concept, I was quite surprised.  I found the possibility of someone hating themselves quite unbelievable . . . The antidote is seen in our natural Buddha-nature, the acceptance or belief that every sentient being, particularly a human being, has Buddha-nature.  There is a potential to become a Buddha.  Even such weak sentient beings as flies, bees, and insects possess Buddha-nature.  Then why not I?  Why can't I also become fully enlightened?"

The Dalai Lama

Photo: A honeybee explores my finger, Greyrock Meadow, Roosevelt National Forest, CO, October 23, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment