Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Sunday, January 29, 2012

We Need the Tonic of Wildness and Mystery


"We need the tonic of wildness . . . We require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be infinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us because unfathomable.  We can never have enough of nature.  We must be refreshed by the sight of inexhaustible vigor, vast and titanic features . . ."

Henry David Thoreau

Photo: Winter winds whipping up the snow, Rocky Mountain National Park, CO, January 28, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment