Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Universal Vastness Becomes Particular in Us, and We in Turn Dissolve into the Universal


"There is truly but one miracle, the perpetual fact of Being and Becoming, the ceaseless saliency, the transit from the Vast to the particular, which miracle . . . has for its most universal name the word God."

"I believe I shall some time cease to be an individual, that the eternal tendency of the soul is to become Universal."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Photo: Ponderosa Pine in a snowstorm, Lory State Park, CO January 7, 2012.  Saliency means the state of projecting or jutting beyond a surface.




No comments:

Post a Comment