Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Friday, January 17, 2014

I live next to the foothills of the Colorado Rockies . . .

I live next to the foothills of the Colorado Rockies. This shot was taken last week about a hundred feet from my doorstep, right at sunset. Fortunately, the owner of the field - which is used both for growing hay and grazing horses - has thus far resisted the impulse to subdivide the land for houses. Deer, coyotes and foxes use it quite regularly. Once in a while, a mountain lion even makes a visit to the western edge of the field.

I love coming home from work, late at night after a full evening of janitorial cleaning. As I sit in my office at home, eating a few scoops of Boulder Ice Cream and working on a Nature Photo-Quote, I listen to the coyotes bark and howl from the field just beyond my window. Before bed, I go outside and gaze up at the Milky Way. There are no streetlights on my block, and the stars shine in all of their glory, reminding me that the elements present in my body, in the field, in the horses, in the foothills, and in the cells of those crazy coyotes, were all formed "out there." And I am struck by the realization that we - and everything else on this amazing planet - are ALL One.

Photo: Larimer County, CO; January 8, 2014

Donations to help fund Nature Photo-Quotes are always appreciated.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment