Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Snowshoeing in fresh powder offers wisdom for life's journey.


Last week I snowshoed up the Lake Agnes Trail accompanied by almost complete solitude.  Because of the abundance of fresh snow, it was very slow going.  Even with snowshoes, my boots sometimes sank two feet into the fresh powder!  The uphill sections were particularly strenuous, especially when I had to break trail toward the end of the hike.  The only way to do it was to plant one foot firmly on the cliffy hillside (using the claw on the bottom of the snowshoe) before taking the next step.

The hike reminded me a lot of life's journey.  Often, we have some goal in mind, and we become impatient because we're projecting ourselves WAY into the future where we want to be RIGHT NOW!  Sometimes we get quite anxious about the potential for failure, and find it difficult to keep moving toward our goal.  However, the only way to have any chance of actually GETTING to that goal is to take one step at a time, planting ourselves firmly and mindfully with each one, and fully savoring the gift of that moment.

I have a quote by David Starr Jordan displayed above my computer that says: "Wisdom is knowing what to do NEXT."  When I become especially anxious about the possibility of reaching my future goals, I remember that all I am responsible to do is to throw myself into the next task, trusting that a way will open up for the journey to continue beyond that.  When I find the grace to practice this principle, life is much more fulfilling and satisfying - AND - less stressful!

Photo: My snowshoe tracks with the Nokhu Crags in the background; Lake Agnes Trail, Never Summer Range, CO; December 27, 2013

If you'd like to make a donation to help fund Nature Photo-Quotes, please go here.  Thanks!


No comments:

Post a Comment