Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

We need a new religion grounded in an evolutionary-ecological worldview.


"When I consider how much misery religion has brought, and how much human and natural capital is consumed in producing and maintaining it, I am not easily convinced that its positives outweigh its negatives.  So, I often think we need an entirely new religion.  At least, I think this until I remember that the kind of affective connections to the earth and its living systems, the feelings of wonder and awe at the beauty and bizarre surprises in our universe, the kinship some people feel toward their fellow living travelers in this earthly odyssey - all have long been part of the human experience.  It seems to me, however, that it would be much easier to develop sustainable societies if religions were firmly grounded in an evolutionary-ecological worldview . . . Even though I am a naturalist, . . . I can think of no better term than 'miracle' to describe all I perceive.  Even the bizarre fact that I am here to perceive it, reflect on it, and share my musings strikes me as nothing less than miraculous.  In this, I fully understand the impulse of scientists and others who fall back on religious terms to express their deepest feelings of delight and wonder at all they sense and know."

Bron Taylor,
"Dark Green Religion"


Photo: Lewis Monkeyflowers just below Siyeh Pass, Glacier National Park, MT; August 1, 2013

If you'd like to make a donation to help fund Nature Photo-Quotes, please go here.  Thanks!




No comments:

Post a Comment