Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Monday, January 13, 2014

The fog finally cleared!

The day I took this photo, the weather was anything but promising. All morning and afternoon, Rainier had been fogged in, with not even a glimpse of her magnificent form peering through the clouds. I debated on whether I should make the drive up the long, dusty dirt road to the primitive campground at Mowich Lake, especially if there was little chance that the Mountain would "come out." However, I went ahead anyway, set up camp, and hiked three miles up to Spray Park, right at timberline. When I arrived - at around 3 P.M., the landscape was completely socked in. Rather than head back down, I decided to take a nap, so I donned my mosquito-net headgear, found a comfy rock, and went to sleep. When I woke up - about 5 P.M. - I noticed that there were a few holes in the clouds, enabling a peekaboo view of the Mountain. A half hour later, the summit was completely clear! With the aid of the late-lying sunlight, I was able to take hundreds of magnificent pictures. Then, just after sunset, the fog again rolled in, completely covering the peak once more. As I hiked back down the trail by headlamp, I reveled in the amazing time I'd just spent on the most beautiful mountain in America. What a day!

Photo: Avalanche Lily at Spray Park, Mount Rainier National Park, CO; July 28, 2013

If you'd like to make a donation to help fund Nature Photo-Quotes, please go here.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment