Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The evolutionary process occurs WITHIN the spaciousness of Divine awareness.

Another way to reconcile evolution and divine creation comes  from meditative experience.  Using our exhalations to expand our awareness, we enter right into the spaciousness of God's awareness, a consciousness that is rooted in love.  We might say, in fact, that God is LOST in this spaciousness, emptied out in an ecstasy of joy, similar to the way we feel when we sit on a beach in the sunshine, listening to the constant roar of the waves.  During meditation, as we allow our identity to expand and merge with this vast awareness, suddenly all things - all thoughts, perceptions, objects and feelings - come popping out of that vastness as though out of nowhere!  It is out of this sacred spaciousness that the evolutionary process has arisen, including mutations, adaptations and all of the multitude of different species.  In other words, creation occurs WITHIN the Creator - inside divine awareness, within the mind of God!

Sylvia Boorstein is a Buddhist teacher who is also Jewish - a "Bu-Jew."  In a fascinating passage, she combines Buddhist meditation, an experience of God, and the process of creation all into one. Using the word "emptiness" as a synonym for "spaciousness," she writes: "I experience God as Source, the Emptiness that gives rise to Form . . . Looking at emptiness, I feel I see God.  Form is the manifest side of emptiness.  Creation keeps on happening . . . My experience of emptiness is that it is alive with the possibility of everything waiting to be born . . . When I pray, I think of how 'God is One' and 'Emptiness' feel the same to me.  When I give thanks, daily, for my life, I think about creation as the amazing process by which nondifferentiated emptiness continually is reborn as form."

Photo: A rock lies on the beach at sunset, with the Quileute Needles in the background; First Beach, Quileute Nation, WA; July 26, 2013

If you'd like to make a donation to help fund Nature Photo-Quotes, please go here.  Thanks!




No comments:

Post a Comment