Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Thursday, March 12, 2015

Inhabiting the margins of spirituality.


I love hanging out with the "pioneer, outlier trees" right at treeline, the ones that somehow have the strength and endurance to brave the cold, blasting winds, hail, grit, and intense UV rays.  They never fail to encourage me to keep moving in the spiritual vision I've been given, even if people don't resonate with or misunderstand what I'm trying to say.  Being part of an "invisible church" that involves a non-institutionalized kind of spirituality is part of the lonely calling I've been given.  Then again, there's the union of an artistic eye, an active intellect and a soft heart.  To academic people, I'm too heart-based.  To heart-based people, I'm too intellectual.  And to Nature photography enthusiasts, I'm too intense, both in heart and intellect.  It seems I'm destined to inhabit the margins, calling others into a realm beyond the usual institutions and categories - just like these trees :)

Photo: Engelmann Spruce trees at treeline, Montgomery Pass, CO, March 7, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment