Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Reconciling tradition and free-thinking.


If our life-journey involves embracing a spiritual tradition, it is important to remember that no tradition is ever stagnant. Rather, it evolves and grows, and its flowering looks quite different than the seed form it took under the direction of its founder.

However, I believe it is just as important to embrace the radical flow of thinking outside the box, which for me involves constant interaction with the free, unrutted reality of wilderness. In fact, I find myself "dancing" back and forth between the elements of the spiritual traditions I find meaningful, and the free, unscripted flow of insight that is the faithful gift of wilderness. This "dance" serves to reconcile the best aspects of each of these two seemingly opposite approaches to life.


For me, this is the most balanced and meaningful way to live.

Photo: Pasqueflower and waterfall, Hewlett Gulch, Roosevelt National Forest, CO, March 18, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment