Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Thursday, March 26, 2015

These flowers make no reference to former flowers or to better ones; they exist with God TODAY.


"If a man claims to know and speak of God, and carries you backward to the phraseology of some old mouldered nation in another country, in another world, believe him not. Is the acorn better than the oak which is its fulness and completion? Is the parent better than the child into whom he has cast his ripened being? Whence, then, this worship of the past? The centuries are conspirators against the sanity and authority of the soul.


"Man is timid and apologetic, he is no longer upright; he dares not say 'I think,' 'I am,' but quotes some saint or sage. He is ashamed before the blade of grass or the blowing flower. These flowers make no reference to former flowers or to better ones; they are for what they are; they exist with God today. There is no time to them. There is simply the flower; it is perfect in every moment of its existence."

Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Self-Reliance" (1847)


Well, in quoting Emerson here, I just violated his counsel! :)



Photos: Pasqueflowers, Lory State Park, CO, March 25, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment