Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

A Landscape One Can Eat

I love the way so much of the rock in the Southwest looks like something one could eat. Here, for example, a badlands formation in the photo above reminds me of sherbet - perhaps raspberry and lime swirled together. The middle section of rock seems like a filet of salmon, while the background appears to be a layer of white and milk chocolate with a bit of cinnamon mixed in. Similarly, the desert varnish in the photo below reminds me of various shades of chocolate drizzled tantalizingly down the side of a cake.


This ability to imaginatively "taste" the landscape through love elicits a visceral experience , which in turn reminds me that in reality, the beauty of the setting - like ordinary food - resides inside my being as well as outside, and is thereby One with me.

Photos: (L) badlands in Arches National Park, UT; June 1, 2014; (R) Desert Varnish in Escalante - Grand Staircase National Monument, UT; May 25, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment