Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Monday, June 16, 2014

An Idyllic Place to Camp!


"Anyone not capable of enjoying camp life in the mountains is in no condition for heaven. We forget nowadays what we were made for . . . The peace of Nature gets into your heart before you are aware, without effort."

The Contemplative John Muir

While this statement may not be true literally - especially since not everyone is inclined to camp - it IS true if we substitute the word "Nature" for "camp."
I went backpacking this past weekend in the Flattops WIlderness, and ended up camping on Skinny Fish Lake. I can't imagine a more idyllic spot to set up a tent - on a peninsula of land with water on on sides, the constant sound of ducks socializing on the lake,



mushrooms pushing up through the snowbanks,


thousands of frogs singing in a nearby pond, orange alpenglow radiating from the peaks at
sunset, and a nearly-full moon shining right through the tent window. What a wonderful place to regain one's center!

Photos: (Top) My tent set up at Skinny Fish Lake; (Middle); ducks swimming on the lake;  (Bottom); a mushroom pushing up through the snow; Flattops Wilderness, CO; June 14, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment