Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Saturday, June 21, 2014

The Advantages and Disadvantages of City Life


Today I spent the day in the inner city - in downtown Denver. I can't help but wonder: were people meant to live like rats crowded together in a cage? Were we intended to have constant noise - music blaring, sirens screeching, and horns honking from impatient drivers? Were we meant to live surrounded by concrete? On the other hand, I know it would be a bad thing if we were all spread out across the landscape. I suppose greenbelts and parks serve as "Nature" for people who live in the city. And I'm also aware that there is a greater diversity of people in a city, a fact that can foster more of a sense of community among those who are like-minded. I also understand that living in a place where mass transit and bicycle-riding are encouraged is a good thing, in terms of reducing our carbon footprint, air pollution and fossil fuel usage. I guess we all have our callings: some are intended for city life, while others of us need wilderness!

Photo: The Park Range and North Park from Montgomery Pass, Medicine Bow / Rawah Range, CO; June 20, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment