Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Variety's the very spice of life.


"Variety's the very spice of life that gives it all its flavor."

William Cowper

I love living in a place where there is so much elevation change, and - with it - a variety of different landscapes and microclimates. Yesterday, I hiked up to tree line at 10,200 feet where snowy winter reigned.




Today, I trekked to a south-facing rock ledge at 7,000 feet that serves as my wintertime mediation place. It had flies buzzing, green plants - mullein - and a temperature, in the sun, in the upper 60s.

 



Photos: (Top) Rock Spires above Emerald Lake, Rocky Mountain National Park, CO, January 19, 2015; (Middle and Bottom) Mullein leaves, Lory State Park, CO, January 20, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment