Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Friday, August 21, 2015

Happiness is finally an inside job . . .



"Happiness is finally an inside job. We are too often 'reeds swaying in the breeze' (Matt. 11:7), dependent moment by moment on others' reaction and approval. This is the modern self: insubstantial, whimsical, totally dependent and calling itself 'free.' I have worked with people in whom I have seen this change: Once they were responding primarily to life outside themselves, but through contact with what I will call 'authentic transcendence,' they're drawing their life from within. They're not letting other people name them. They are named by God, and they have recognized that name as their deepest and truest self."

Richard Rohr
"What the Mystics Know"


Photo: Half Dome at sunrise, Yosemite National Park, CA, July 23, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment