Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Friday, August 28, 2015

"Nones" and Wilderness Mysticism



In preparing for a workshop I'm giving on Wilderness Mysticism this Sunday, I did a little more research about "Nones" - i.e., those who identify themselves as religiously unaffliated. According to a 2014 Pew Research Center study, 23% of the U.S. adult population are Nones, up 8 points from 2007. Especially important in driving this increase are those in the Millennial Generation (born 1981-1996), 35% of whom consider themselves to be Nones. Interestingly, only 7% of Nones identify themselves as atheist or agnostic. While more studies need to be done, it appears that increasing numbers of Nones consider Nature their primary source of religious inspiration. A new study from Baylor University claims that those areas containing especially beautiful landscapes in the vicinity also have a higher percentage of Nones. Portland is certainly an example of this correlation, where 42% of the population identifies as Nones.




In any case, I've been committed over the past 30 years to providing meaningful theological reflection on the spiritual experience of Nature. Many people I know (at least in Colorado, where I live) love to recreate in the Great Outdoors, but very few actually reflect on the meaning of their experience and relate it to their spirituality. I am excited to offer Wilderness Mysticism as one way of doing that! :)





Photos: (Top) Indian Paintbrush and West Glacier Lake; (Middle) Rocks on an unnamed lake. These two photos were taken in the Snowy Range (WY) on August 22, 2015; (Bottom) Subalpine Arnica and Lake Helene, with Notchtop Mountain towering above, Rocky Mountain National Park, CO, August 25, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment