Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Monday, August 3, 2015

Wilderness Mysticism is what I'm about.



The first camping spot for our 16-day retreat was at Big Pine Lakes in the Eastern Sierra Nevada of California. While the decrease in the usual number of wildflowers served as evidence of the ongoing drought, I managed to find quite a few flourishing in the wet and marshy areas. The most extreme drought conditions we would experience would come the following week in Washington State. In any case, here's a segment from one of my journal entries during our stay in the Sierra:

" 'Wilderness Mysticism': that's the title I've settled on for my work. That includes Christian Mysticism as a subset, especially insofar as it uses wilderness imagery to describe the contemplative life. This title enables me to start something fresh and not have to undergo the painful experience of trying to fit my work into other people's expectations about what Christian spirituality should include. Besides, I'm firmly convinced that in our time of environmental devastation, it is necessary for us to find one of our primary sources of revelation in the Earth."




Photos: (Top) Mountain Pride Penstemon, Big Pine Lake #2, and Temple Crag; (Middle) Crimson Columbine; (Bottom) Kelly's Tiger Lily; All three photos were taken at Big Pine Lakes, Sierra Nevada Mountains, CA, July 19, 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment