Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Beauty is the harmony of contrasts.

"Beauty is the harmony of contrasts."

Alfred North Whitehead,
20th century philosopher

Today was amazing!  I started out on the Plains at 5,000 feet with golden Cottonwoods glowing next to rock formations in silhouetted in shadow.  The temperature was about 50 degrees. Then, hiking up to a lake at 9,700 feet, I found floating green water lily leaves with snow glistening in the trees and on the peaks.



Finally, at 10,100 feet, I reached a lake where the conditions were wintry, with snow blowing all around and the wind chill hovering near zero.  How amazing it is to live in a place where so many different environments abound!




Photos: (Top) A farmer's fields, an irrigator, Cottonwoods glowing, and the Devil's Backbone, near Loveland, CO; (Middle) Waterlily leaf on Nymph Lake, Rocky Mountain National Park, CO; (Bottom) Blustery winds buffet a Limber Pine, with Hallett Peak looming in the background, Emerald Lake Trail, Rocky Mountain National Park, CO.  All three photos were taken on October 27, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment