Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Thursday, October 9, 2014

I pledge allegiance to the soil of Turtle Island . . .

"I pledge allegiance to the soil
of Turtle Island,
and to the beings who thereon dwell
one ecosystem
in diversity
under the sun
With joyful interpenetration for all."


Gary Snyder


"Turtle Island" is a translation of an Iroquois term referring to the continent of North America. "Joyful interpenetration" refers to the Mahayana Buddhist realization that the "self" is not a separate, individual substance. Rather, it is part of a vast web of beings, all of whom interlink and interpenetrate one another.



Photos: (Left) American flag and The Twin Owls, Rocky Mountain National Park, CO, October 4, 2014; (R Top) Abandoned cabin in the ghost town of Ashcroft, CO, September 28, 2014; (R Bottom) Snow-covered Clark Peak and Aspen trees, Rawah WIlderness, CO, October 2, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment