Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

To feel we belong to the world, we must be deserted.



"To feel we belong to the world, we must be deserted."

Ellen Meloy 



I find that the more other people disappoint my expectations of what I would like them to be, the more I begin to detach from my own small-self and identify instead with the larger self, which is one with God and with the cosmic perspective.  For me, desert landscapes are especially effective in supporting this approach. I found this to be true in a special way yesterday, when I encountered not a single soul on my hike in an arid landscape just forty-five minutes from my home.


Photos: Red Mountain Open Space, Larmier County, CO, October 20, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment