Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

All things possess a subjectivity that is capable of grasping our attention.


Today's hike featured a marshy meadow filled with thousands of Elephanthead flowers. I pondered the fact that those magnificent purple plants possess a subjectivity that is capable of reaching out and grabbing my attention in order to know and celebrate their own beauty through my mind and heart. But I also realized that the plants' subjectivity - the one that holds my awareness in its embrace - arises from a Source ENDLESSLY DEEP within the plant. How can the act whereby the flower grasps my attention EVER OCCUR if it comes from a source that is INFINITELY deep within the plant? That precisely is its mystery.

Photo: Elephanthead flowers, ranger patrol cabin, and Mt. Alice; Wild Basin, Rocky Mountain National Park, CO; August 18, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment